Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cat Nap

My cats are so great. So much so, in fact, they have a significant place in For the Helpless. Husbands, kids and parents are great too, don't get me wrong. I've even worked them into my story lines. My cats, however, are reflected as they are in real life..... bed hogs, cry babies and wonderful snugglers. I had to change the names of my other characters to protect the innocent. Taz and Angel appear as-is in all of their glory.

I don't know if other authors include their pets in their writing, maybe it's weird, but here's the thing: The majority of the time I was writing, one or both would be stretched out on my legs, lying beside me, their head on my knee, and at times, offering to do some some of the typing for me. Obviously, they wanted to be involved and a part of things. In fact, as I write this, they take turns on my lap, periodically chasing each other off and taking possession for their turn.

I knew that my main character's life wouldn't be the same if she didn't have cats. (I love dogs too, but most fictional crime fighters have dogs. It's a bit over-done.) She needed a little soft and fluffy in her life. Plus, I think cats are great judges of character. I use this in the story line to add a different perspective about some of the people in Kelly Lowe's life.

I'd be interested in knowing what some of you think about pets as key characters. If you have a pet, how would you portray them in a story? Taz and Angel will probably be by Kelly's side in future writings. I may need some ideas for other projects too, though. Toss me some ideas, and I might just use it in one of my future books!

Time to give the kitties some love, they're feeling a little ignored.




Till next time,
Lori ~

1 comment:

  1. Huge cat person here so I LOVE that you put your cats in your novel. I have to admit, I never thought to place them in as themselves! I do,however, almost always have cats and occasionally dogs in my stories. Now you've got me thinking about that last full paragraph and the "hows"!!!

    ReplyDelete