Thursday, April 28, 2011

WINSPRIFALL


SPRING IS IN THE AIR…. WAIT, I MEAN WINTER WONDERLAND, NO, SPR….. WINT…. OH, NEVERMIND!
INTRODUCING WINSPRIFALL


Oh, spring, why hast thou forsaken me?

It’s April 28th, but by all accounts near and far, it’s the middle of January, February at best. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we’re used to an excess of liquid sunshine. Really. It’s why our state is so beautiful. Snow…. We see a little. Ski season’s usually dwindles down to nearly non-existent in March, yet the Mountains are still getting blasted. Here on the valley floor we have rain, hail, sun, repeat.

Not only are my flowers confused, but apparently, my heating bill is too. I have the fireplace blazing as I write this! I am grateful for the days the sun does grace us with it’s warming presence. I thrive on good old-fashioned vitamin D. Everything goes better with that big yellow-orange thing in the sky.

My second problem with the conflicting and ever changing weather is this: I have my fall wardrobe, my winter duds, the springy outfits and the summer-wear. Now, due to the sunny-one-minute-rainy-the-next-and-oh-my-gosh-is-that-a-flurry-of-golf-balls-falling-from-the-sky weather system I must keep everything handy rather than having my seasonal clothes nicely tucked away. It’s a really good thing I have four closets at my disposal now instead of two.

All joking and whining aside, I realize the mild seasonal fluctuations in my neck of the woods is really a blessing. I see the devastation caused by hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding and non-stop snow storms that are happening all over the US. My heart aches for those effected by these horrible conditions. Many of my writing friends live in these areas that are hit the hardest and I am always fearful they might be caught in the worst of it.

It has been one crazy year all over. Even though I whine like many Oregonians, about the rain and the cold, and I wait anxiously for summer sun every day, I am so glad to live in an area where that’s all there is to complain about.

In closing, God Bless all of you struck by unruly and indiscriminately weather systems.

Tomorrow and the next day and the next (that’s all I can commit to at this time), every time I think about complaining when the rain comes down in torrents, I will stop and say a prayer for those less fortunate in the weather sense than I. I will count my blessings. I will accept this new season called winsprifall without further ado.

Till next time,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment