Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mom, mamma, ma, mom, mother, mamma.....


IN HONOR OF MOTHERS


I’ll admit it….. I come from a very long line of mothers. I know, you’re surprised. So was I when I heard the news. I imagine the line of motherhood will continue long after I’m gone, barring the end of the world happening sooner rather than later, in which case it’ll be more like a short hyphen.

I have had the pleasure of knowing my own mother a very long time. I also knew her mother for quite a while as well. I am so lucky to have wonderful memories of my grandma and my mother. Of course, not all of my memories are great, but today is a day to remember the particularly good ones. I hope one day my own daughter will look back and remember a few favorable ones as well.

When I was a little girl, I would get to visit my grandma at the beach. Oh, how I loved those visits; clam digging, beach combing, baking with grandma, ‘reading’ the newspaper with grandpa. Every time I’d visit I’d get frosted animal cookies and my ‘medicine’ (canned peach or pear juice). As I got older, I was able to visit on my own and I’d drive to see my grandma and grandpa on my own. I couldn’t think of anyone I would rather drive and see.

I have so many fond memories of times spent with my grandma, and I hope that my own grandchildren will love me as much as I did her, as much as my own baby girl loves her grams.

My mom. My best friend. My mamma and I have always been close. We’ve been through a lot together. I remember songs and stories and bouts of giggles until we cried. She was the one that encouraged me to be strong, to think for myself, not to follow but lead. She was and still is my front row cheerleader no matter what I do.

I can easily admit that mother did (and, if I’m being honest, still does), know best. At least in many things. If only I’d listened when she suggested I could do So much better than Sam Stillwell. Or that it didn’t matter what those silly Jr. High girls thought. I really wish I would have never let anyone come between our close bond and cast a shadow on that decade of my life. (I really am sorry, mom).

I could always count on my mom for these things: honesty- even when it hurts, permission to speak freely- you guessed it, even if it hurts, modeling strength and courage- she’s a breast cancer survivor and did it with grace and humor, permission to be silly at any age, and love with all of your heart.

At times in my life when others judged, she listened and loved. I know that when I hurt, she hurt too. When I was overwhelmed with joy, she was as well. I know that when my mom speaks about her youngest child, she has pride in her voice. I hope she knows that when I speak about her, I have that same pride in my voice.

My mother has taught me so much and has become not only my mom, but my best friend. One I have no choice, the other I gladly choose.

I know things haven’t always been pretty, but God has brought us through those rough times. Thank you mom for being you. Thanks to all moms who love their children and their grandchildren with all of their hearts and do the best they can. I wish everyone could say their mom is their best friend.

Happy Mother’s Day and hugs.

Lori






No comments:

Post a Comment